loupe view of plate digiwedge

Let us help you with print and design questions

Accordion fold (Z-fold)
A term for two or more parallel folds that result in the sheet opening like a fan. Accordion folds are used on products such as brochures and maps.
Aqueous coating
A water-based coating that is applied like ink to protect and enhance the printing underneath. This clear coating provides a high gloss surface which protects the surface from dirt, smudges, fingerprints and scratch. Aqueous coating improves postcards durability as they go through mail or inserted in pockets. It is also applied on brochures, catalog covers, flyers and other visual ads.
A-Style envelope (Announcement)
This square flap styled envelope is most used for announcements, small booklets, brochures and promotional pieces and has large area for flap design.
A-style/Announcement envelope sizes
Baronial envelope
An elegant and more formal envelope that has a pointed flap suitable for announcements, greeting cards, and invitations.
Baronial envelope sizes
Printing that goes beyond the edge of the sheet after trimming. The bleed is the part on the side of your document that gives the printer a small amount of space to move around paper and design inconsistencies. Bleeds in the USA and UK generally are 1/8 of an inch from where the cut is to be made.
Blind emboss
A raised impression made without using ink or foil.
Bond paper
A high quality durable writing paper. It is characterized by erasability, good absorption, and rigidity.
Booklet envelope
A open sided envelope (long edge opening) that is suitable for automatic insertion of annual reports, booklets, calendars, sales material.
Booklet envelope sizes
C1S and C2S
Abbreviations for coated one side and coated two sides.
Cast coated paper
A paper with a exceptionally glossy coated finish usually on one side only. It is coated and then pressure dried using a polished roller that imparts an enamel like hard gloss finish. Cast coated papers are the glossiest of all coated papers.
The color space used for commercial printing and most color computer printers. In theory, cyan, magenta and yellow (CMY) can print all colors, but inks are not pure and black comes out muddy. The black ink (K) is required for quality printing.
Refers to paper or paperboard that has been coated to improve printability or appearance. Clay (kaolin) is predominantly used and may be applied during the manufacturing process or on and off-machine coater. Paper may be coated one side (C1S) or two sides (C2S).
Combination emboss
Combination embossing is the process of embossing and foil stamping the same image. It involves imprinting and aligning foil over an embossed image to create a foil emboss.
Commercial envelope
The standard envelope used for business and personal mailings. This envelope is used for checks, statements, invoices, stationery and direct marketing.
Commercial envelope sizes
A rough layout of a printed piece showing position and finished size.
Felt paper
A felt finish has no obvious texture or pattern and is a highly absorbent paper. Expect dot gain when printing on a felt finish sheet. A 20% screen tint for any particular graphic element will print on a felt finish like a 35% screen tint would print on a smoother sheet.
Foil stamping
The process of applying a thin film of colored foil to paper for decorative purposes.
A three or four panel fold where the two outside panels fold inward to meet in the center. In an open gate fold, there are three panels, the bottom of which is twice the size of the folded panels. In a closed gatefold, there are four panels of roughly equal size where the outer panels are folded inward together.
The central blank area between left and right pages.
Gripper edge
The space required for a printing press to grab and hold the paper.
Imprinted designation on mail that denotes postage payment (e.g., permit imprint).
Laid paper
A paper that is manufactured with textured lines on its surface. This finish is used mostly for business stationery elements, like letterhead, envelopes and business cards.
Laminate finish
A film applied to either one side or both sides of a printed document to provide protection and give it a glossy finish.
Linen paper
Similar to a laid finish, this paper has textured lines on the surface of the sheet, but they are finer and more regular than those that appear on a laid finish stock. This paper is also used frequently for business stationery.
Opaque ink
Ink that does not allow the paper or other ink lying below it to show through; metallic inks are one example.
Open End
Envelopes that have the opening and seal flap on the short side.
Open Side
Envelopes that have the opening and seal flap on the long side.
Printing that is done on an area that has already been printed. Overprinting is sometimes used to avoid the need for trapping and avoid gaps between touching colors. Black text in Illustrator files should be set to overprint.
PDF settings
1. PDF document size = flat trimmed size.
2. No printer marks (i.e., color bars, registration, bleed, crop marks )
3. For bleeds, use 0.125" symmetrical (1/8 inch all around).
4. High resolution (300 dpi).
5. Send books as single pages and not spreads.
6. Embed all fonts.
Perfect binding
An inexpensive bookbinding technique in which the pages are glued rather than sewn to the cover and used primarily for paperbacks, small manuals, phone books, etc.
Perforation ( perf )
Taking place on a press or a binder machine, creating a line of small dotted holes for the purpose of tearing-off a part of a printed matter (usually straight lines, vertical or horizontal).
Preparing your files
1) Document size is actual trim size.
2) Include bleed if image butts up or extends beyond the trimmed edge.
3) Convert all RGB images to CMYK or duotone.
4) Images are high resolution. 300dpi recommended.
5) If not printing spot colors, convert all spot colors in your file.
   (many spot colors are in EPS/vector artwork and logos.)
6) Proper marks, such as indicia, are on envelopes and return mail
Register emboss
Registered embossing is a process that places the embossed image in alignment with another element created with ink, foil, punching, or with a second embossed image.
Rich black
For large areas of solid black, use a cmyk mix of cyan=60, magenta=40, yellow=20, black=100.
Saddle stitch
Staples inserted into the spine (saddle) of folded printed matter such as booklets, catalogues, brochures, and manuals.
To crease paper with a metal rule for the purpose of making folding easier.
Self cover
A product where the cover stock is the same weight as the text stock instead of having a separate cover of heavier weight attached. This type of cover is generally used on booklets and smaller publications.
A printing process whereby slow drying ink is applied to paper and, while the ink is still wet, is lightly dusted with a resinous powder. The paper then passes through a heat chamber where the powder melts and fuses with the ink to produce a raised surface.
The cutting of the finished product to the correct size. Trim marks are incorporated on the printed sheet to show where the trimming is to be made.
Varnish coating
Varnish is essentially ink without pigment. It requires its own printing unit on press. It can be wet-trapped (printed in-line at the same time other inks are laid down), or dry-trapped (run as an additional pass through the press after the initial ink coating has dried). The latter often provides a glossier finish. Varnish comes in gloss, dull, and satin (in-between dull and gloss), and can be tinted by adding pigment to the varnish.
Vellum paper
A vellum finish has an eggshell appearance and is consistent and even but not as much as a smooth finish. Vellum is one of the most popular uncoated finishes and paper with this finish has a high ink absorbency rate. This crisp, translucent paper with a subtle, rough surface comes in both solid colors and embossed designs. Vellum paper may be marbled, metallic, flecked with gold and silver, and embedded with leaves. Velum is suitable for invitations, greeting cards, and anywhere a translucent paper enhances a printed piece.
Wallet flap
Similar to a square flap, but with round corners. It is a standard flap on most booklet, catalog and specialty commercial envelopes.
Wove paper
An even finish in uncoated paper with a slight texture made by a felt roller covered in woven wire. Wove is a popular sheet for stationery and book publishing. This paper is bulky with only a slightly rough surface. Because of its bulk, the paper is ideal for laser printer projects and suggests quality and strength.